Seravezza is located about 4 kilometers from Forte dei Marmi, at the confluence of two torrents, the Serra and the Vezza. From the center of Forte dei Marmi, the “di Marina” provincial road (SP9) takes you there in just a few minutes. Seravezza is a UNESCO World Heritage Site: its Palazzo Mediceo, with its gardens and the grand-ducal stables, is one of Tuscany’s 12 Medici villas, a Medici family residence in the 1500s and today a cultural events venue (www.palazzomediceo.it).
The territory of the municipality of Seravezza embraces a great variety of landscapes: the plains, with the localities of Querceta and Ripa and Seravezza itself; and the mountainous portion, peppered with small villages with long histories, such as Fabiano, Giustagnana, Basati, and Minazzana. Of especial note, the Azzano locality, shadowed by the Apuan Alps’ Monte Altissimo peak. The village is the site of an ancient church with, on its facade, a sculpted rose window attributed to Michelangelo Buonarroti, who was in this area in 1518 to select marbles for statues commissioned of him by Pope Leo X Medici.
For sports lovers seeking relaxing alternatives to the beach, Seravezza and Upper Versilia offer numerous opportunities for activities for families, walking excursions, hikes and treks, and mountaineering at all levels of difficulty, and such other sports as biking, mountain-biking, horseback riding and sports fishing.